Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Return of the 36-hour day; or, BS is back in the Midwest

My parents' cat Max makes the most terrifying noises. Some day I must remember to record them for posterity, because those are the strangest sounds I have ever heard coming from a cat.

This means, of course, that I have returned to the Midwest after two years in Seattle, and while I'm desperately missing the friends I made there, it is nice to be back in a geographic location which is, if not ideal, at least familiar. There was a thunderstorm this afternoon, my first in over a year. At first I wasn't sure what was going on, why my cat was suddenly so agitated and clingy, or why it felt like someone was moving furniture above my head. I looked out at the skylight at that point, at the water-blurred glass and dark sky, and it all made sense. The storm moved south, so by the time I drove north into town the worst of it was over--not the most impressive display of nature's pyrotechnics, but it was a nice welcome back to my hometown.

Because I never learn, I pulled another all-nighter on my return trip to Michigan. Mom forced me out of bed at nine on Sunday (dreadful after a weekend of packing and panic attacks and a final performance of Dido) so we could return the rental car, have brunch downtown, and bus back to the apartment. At dinner, I remembered that Thai food is something which never lives up to the expectations I have for it, and the grease from the vegetable fried rice made me queasy. As my final illegal act as a resident of Seattle, I rode to the airport on the floor between the seats of the moving truck, my legs tucked up against my body until we reached the terminal. I checked in three hours before my scheduled departure and, because I am an unrepentant dweeb, I watched YouTube videos on my laptop until boarding was announced.

I knitted a slipcover for my laptop, by the way. It looks like this:


The finishing is pretty rough (I'm lazy and wanted it finished before I returned to Seattle in June), but for a project knitted without a pattern, I'm pleased with the way it turned out. There will undoubtedly be a Laptop Slipcover Part Deux knitted sometime in the near future, after I finish the gorgeous fingerless mittens I've been working on (slowly) for the past couple of weeks. As it turns out, a cross-country move hampers productivity significantly. Regardless, here's a Hipstacam photo of the left hand:


Someday I will have free time again (ha! ha!) and start taking custom orders. Until then, I have the right-hand half of the coziest red fingerless mitts and some kind of for-a-baby project to keep me occupied (since I've been invited to a friend's baby shower on the 17th--why must everyone my age begin procreating? I'm not old enough for this, right?).

The past few days I have been sleeping almost constantly, and the cats are more than content to keep me company. I arrived at my parents' house around noon on Monday and almost immediately fell asleep--until 6 p.m. I was up until 7:30, then fell asleep again while watching the Tigers game (it was just as well--they lost). I woke up again at midnight, read most of The Hunger Games, and went to bed around 3 a.m. Yesterday I slept until 2:30 p.m. After the show, the stress resulting from Opa's death, and moving, I suppose my body was starved for rest.

I must be off now, though, to buy some supplies for the Super Mystery Project I'm planning to make for Dana's baby girl. Must get to JoAnn's before closing time. Next time on How Inconvenient!, an update on the (too many) books I'm reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment